Comments are Off
Red Beans & Rice
This stuff is really good wrapped in a tortilla with cheese. [url attid=”3987″ href=”http://planetricefoods.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Brown-Rice-Red-Beans2.jpg”][img src=”http://planetricefoods.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Brown-Rice-Red-Beans2.jpg” alt=”” width=”800″ height=”894″ class=”alignleft size-full wp-image-3987″][/url]
- 1 ½ cups PlanetRice Sprouted Brown Rice
- 1 cup dried red beans – soak in water overnight, then rinse, pick for stones
- 4½ cups water, vegetable or chicken stock
- ¾ cup of diced white onions
- 1 lb. bulk hot or sweet Italian sausage, depending on your spice level.
- 2 cloves minced fresh garlic
- Sea salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 2 ½ cups peeled, seeded & chopped tomatoes
- 1 Tbl ground cumin
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 1 medium red bell pepper (you can add or sub some hot peppers for a kick)
- ½ bunch chopped cilantro or 2 Tbl chopped fresh oregano
- Brown sausage over medium heat in a heavy bottom pot or dutch oven. Check on amount of rendered fat, remove if needed, leaving some for sautéing.
- •Add onions, peppers, garlic, cook until tender.
- •Add beans, stock or water, salt, cumin, ground black pepper and simmer for 1 hour.
- •Add rice, tomatoes (and any extra liquid) bring to a boil and then down to a simmer covered for 30-45 minutes. Check tenderness of the beans and rice is not tender enough, turn off heat and leave covered for another 15-20 minutes.
- •Take cilantro or oregano and fold into the mixture.•I like to add fresh sliced scallions, diced peppers, fresh oregano or cilantro on top